* ENGLISH HOME PAGE IS HERE
- It's been a long time since we wrote the last article.
- This month we'll tell you the usage of "te-form of a verb + iru"(`teiru).
- We've already referred this in another article.(Please see the article of July 1998
- In that artile we told only one usage of h`te iru"but there are other usages.
1.Indicating a continuing action (be `ing)
- We will tell you these other usages in this article.
*Verbs which are used in this usage are almost transitive verbs.
- ex)Haha wa ima amimono o shite imasu.(My mother is knitting now.)
- Kanojo wa hon o yonde imasu.(She is reading a book.)
- Tanaka san wa ima hirugohan o tabete imasu. (Mr. Tanaka is eating lunch now.)
- Uchi ni kaetta toki haha wa ryoori o tsukutte imashita. (When I came home,my mother was cooking.)
*Some intransitive verbs whose subjects are animate or other intransitive verbs which express the natural phenomena.
- Kare wa heya no naka o aruki mawatte imasu.(He is walking around in the room.)
- Kireina kingyo ga suisoo no naka o oyoide imasu.(A beautiful goldfish is swimming in the aquarium.
- Kanojo wa odotte imasu.(She is dancing.)
- Soto wa ame ga futte imasu. (It is raining outside.)
- Soto wa tsuyoi kaze ga fuite imasu. (Strong wind is blowing outside.)
- Sora ni wa takusan no utsukushii hoshi ga kagayaite imasu.(Many bright stars are shining in the sky.)
2.Indicating a certain state .
---A state resulting from a certain action still remains.
*Intransitive verbs (see the article of June 1998)
ex) Mado ga aite iru.(The window is open.)
Watashi no tokei wa kowarete iru.( Something is wrong with my watch.)
- Denki ga tuite iru .(The light is on)
- Kono sakana wa mou shinde iru. ( This fish is already dead.)
- Kireina hana ga saite iru.( The beautiful flowers are out.)
- Kyoo wa yoku harete iru.(It's a fine day.)
- ex) Kanojo wa kekkon shiteimasu.(She is already married.)
- Watashi wa tokyo ni sunde imasu. ( I live in Tokyo.)
- Kanojo wa totemo komatte iru.(She is in great trouble.)
- Kimono o kite iru hito ga watashi no haha desu.( The woman wearing kinomo is my mother).
- Kare wa san gulasu o kakete imasu.(He is wearing sunglasses.)
- Akai sukaato o haitei iru no ga watashi no ane desu.(The girl wearing a red skirt is my sister.)
- Kare wa hiroi tochi o motte imasu.(He owns a large estate.)
- Kare wa kodomo no koro o yoku oboete imasu.(He remembers his childhood well.)
- Watashi wa kare o shitte imasu. (I know him.)
- ¦Be careful the negative form of "shitte imasu" is not "shitte imasen"but "shirimasen".
So we say "watashi wa kare o shirimasen".
3.Indicating the same action is repeatedly performed or the habit.
- ex) Takusan no gakusei ga maitoshi gaikoku kara kite iru.( Many students come from foreign countries every year.)
- Watashi wa mainichi sanpo o shite iru.(I take a walk every day.)
- Kono kaisya wa iroirona kaban o tsukutte imasu.(This factory makes many kinds of bags.)
- Kiosk dewa iroirona mono o utteimasu. (They sell many kinds of things at a kiosk.)
- Mainichi kootsuu jiko de takusan no fusyousya ga dete iru.(Many people are injured or killed in traffic accidents every day.).
- Mainichi tori ni esa o yatte iru.(I feed the birds every day.)
- Kare wa maiasa hashitte iru. (He jogs every morning)
- ¦This sentence pattern also can express one's occupation.
- ex) Kanojo wa senmon gakkoo ni kayotte imasu.(She is a technical college student.)
- Chichi wa syooken gaisya ni tsutomete imasu.(My father works at the security company. )
- Haha wa kookoo de eigo o oshiete imasu. (My mother teaches English at a high school.)
- ex)Watashi wa mae ni kono eiga o mite iru.(I've seen this movie before.)
- Kare wa mae ni ashi no hone o otte iru. (He has broken his leg before .)
5.The verbs "sobieru,niru,sugureru,togaru and so on" usually require"te +iru pattern and
- Watashi wa nikai chuugoku o otozurete iru.(I've been to China twice.)
- they are used as adjective.
ex)Otooto wa chichi ni yoku nite iru.(My brother resembles our father in appearance.)
- Kanojo wa yasete iru. (She is slim. )
- Kono seihin wa ichiban sugurete iru. (This product is the best-made.)
- Sono enpitsu wa saki ga togatte iru.(The pencil is sharply pointed.)
- ¦Look at the following sentences.
- You may notice the same verb can express some states.
1)Jaguchi kara mizu ga potapota ochite iru.( usage 1)
- (The tap is dripping.)
- Saifu ga michi ni ochite iru.(usage 2)
- ( Someone dropped a purse on the street.)
- 2)Kanojo wa ima kyooshitsu de eigo o oshiete imasu(usage1).
- (She is teaching English in class now).
- Kanojo wa kookoo de eigo o oshiete iru.(usage3)
- ( She teaches English at high school).
- 3) Kare wa koukou no koro kara America e itte iru.( usage 2)
- ( He has been in America since he was a high school student.)
- Kare wa sankai america e itte iru.(usage 4)
- ( He has been to America three times.)
- 4)Kare wa kyonen kara nihon ni kite iru.(usage 2)
- ( He has been in Japan since last year.)
- Kare wa ichido nihon ni kite iru.(usage 4)
- (He has been to Japan once )
We are expert Japanese teachers. We are confident that this article is good
and useful for foreign learners of Japanese. But we are afraid our English is
not so good. When you find any spelling or grammatical mistake,
please let let us know.
We also offer private lessons for students of all levels.
For more information , please call us.
EMAIL:BXK04364@niftyserve.ne.jp , firstname.lastname@example.org
/// JAPAN CULTURE STUDY GROUP ///
RETURN TO COVER