* ENGLISH HOME PAGE IS HERE
"Yoodesu Soodesu Rashiidesu"
- This month we'll study the similar expressions
(1)`soodesu There are two usages of "`soodesu".One is an expression of appearence(a),|
- and the other is an expression of hearsay (b).
- (a) Kinoo wa kaze de ki ga taore soodeshita.(It was windy yesterday, so the tree
- was likely to fall down)
- (b) Kinoo no kaze de ki ga taoreta soodesu.(I heard the tree had fallen down
- yesterday because of the strong wind.)
(A) an expression of appearence
- This expression conveys "looking as if or having the appearence.
- Past form and noun never come before "soodesu. But "noun + dewanasasou"
- can be used.
- E i,na-adjective + soodesu (It is attached without "i or na")
- Kono ringo wa oishi soodesu.(This apple looks delicious)
- Kono rinngo wa oishiku nasa soo.(This apple doesn't look delicious)
- Kare wa genki soodesu.(He looks healthy)
- Kore wa honmono dewa nasa soodesu.(This doesn't look real.)
- Kore wa honmono soodesi~j(We say kore wa hon mono rashii.)
- Ea verb (masu form) +soodesu
- a) a verb which expresses action
- Ano ki wa taore soodesu.(The tree is likely to fall down.)
- Ame ga furi soodesu.(It is likely to rain.)
- Kare wa kisoomonai.(It seems that he doesn't come)
- b) a verb which expresses a state or a condition
- Ano hito wa okane ga ari soodesu(She seems to be rich.)
- Ano hito wa okane ga aru yoodesu(She seems to be rich.)
- *(In this case soodesu is similar to yoo desu)
(B) an expression of hearsay.
- This expression conveys something you have heard.Conjunction is defferent from upper "soodesu" Past form `soodeshita can't be used..
- verb plain form +soodesu
- Ano resutoran wa oishii soodesu.(They say that the food at that restaurant is delicious.)
- Ano resutoran wa oishikatta soodesu. (They say that the food at that restaurant was delicious.)
- Kare wa gennki da soodesu.(I heard that he was well.)
- Kare wa gennk de wa nai soodesu.(I hear that he was not well.)
- Kare wa gennki datta soodesu.((I hear that he had been well.)
- Ame ga furu soodesu.(It is said that it will rain)
- Ame ga furanai soodesu.(It is said that it will nott rain)
- Ame ga futta soodesu. (I heard that it had rained.)
- i-adj , verb plain form + `yoodesu `rashiidesu
- na-adj. and noun + `yoodesu `rashiidesu are as follows.
- na-adj. gennkina yoodesu. gennki rashiidesu.
- noun hareno youdesu hare rashiidesu.
- There are a few usages of " `yoodesu,`rashiidesu",but in this article we pick up only an expression of conjecture.
In the next paragraph I'll show some sentences , (a)the sentences which "yoodesu and
- Both "yoodesu" and "rashiidesu "express the speaker's subjective conjecture based on a certain ground.
The defference between them is that "yoodesu" is more intuitive or more subjective than "rashiidesu".
"Yoodesu" also includes more speaker's judgement than "rashiidesu". It is difficult to tell the defference exactly .
rashiidesu " are interchageble (b) those which only yoodesu can be used, (c) those which only rashidesu can be used, (d)"soodesu, yoodesu and rashidesu can be used,but their nuances are a little bit defferrent.
I hope you'll see how to use them correctly after reading followings and practicing questions.
- (a)"yoodesu and rashiidesu " are used interchagebly.
EThe expressions based on speaker' observation
(seeing the wet road) Ame ga futta youdesu. (It seems to have rained)
- Amega futta rashiidesu. (It seems to have rained)
Kono mise wa hayatteiru rashiidesu .(This shop seems popula.)
(seeing the shop) Kono mise wa hayatteiru yoodesu.(This shop seems popular.)
EThe expressions conjectured through a certain imformation
( seeing the weather report or hearing somebody say)
Kyoo wa ame ga furu yoodesu.(It seems to rain today)
(hearing a sound outside) Dareka kita yoodesu( It sounds somebody is outside.)
Kyoo wa ame ga furu rashiidesu.(It seems to rain today)
Dare ka kita rashiidesu ( It sounds somebody is outside.)
- (b) only yoodesu can be used
(This bag seems to be made of leather.)
(touching the bag ) Kono kaban wa kawa de dekiteiru yoodesu.
(This quiz seems difficult for me.)
(solving the quiz) Kono mondai wa watashi ni wa muzukashii yooda.
( It seems that I have seen him somewhere before.)
(looking at his face) Maeni dokokade kareni atta youdesu.
(It seems that there is something hard in the box)
(shaking the box) Hako no naka ni nanika kataimono ga haitte iru youda.
- (c) only rashidesu can be used
Uwasa dewa kare wa shigoto o yameru rashii.(They say that he'll quit his job.)
( They say that company seems to have gone bankrupt.)
Minna no hanashi dewa ano kaisya wa tousan shita rashii.
- (d) Soodesu, yoodesu and rashidesu can be used,but their nuances are a little bit defferrent.
(seeing one's face) Anata wa netsu ga ari soodesu.(you seem to have a fever.)
( touching his forehead ) Anata wa netsu ga aru yoodesu.(you seem to have a fever.)
(hearing other people say) Anata wa netsu ga aru rashiidesu.(you seem to have a fever.)
1. (at the hospital)
- Please choose incorrect one.You can choose more than one answere.
- isya : doo shimashitaka.
hiita rashiin desu ga, hiita soodesu ga,)
- kanjya : seki ga dete, kaze o (hiita younan desu ga, hiki soonan desu ga,
- isya : netsu ga (ari soo desu ne, aru you desu ne, aru rashii desu ne)
- chotto hakatte mite kudasai.
- kangofu : 38do ari masu.
- isya :hai, kuchio akete nodo o misete kudasai.
- akai desu ne. (kaze no you desu ne, kaze rashii desu ne.
- kaze sou desu ne)
- kanjya : raishuu amerika e shucchoo shinakereba naranai n desu ga, sugu naori soo desu ka,
- naoru you desu ka, naoru rashii desu ka)
- isya : 2, 3nichi yasumeba, yoku naru to omoimasu ga, yoku naranakereba
- mata kite kudasai.
Q.(Looking at Mr.Tanaka's face)
- Sensei: Tanaka san wa ( ureshii yoodesu ne, ureshisoo desu ne, ureshiirashii desu ne )
3. Saikin watashi wa i ga itai. Watashi wa ( i ga warui yooda, i ga waru sooda,
- Gakusei: Nanika iikoto ga ( atta yoodesu ne, atta rashiidesu ne, arisoodesu ne )
i ga warui rashii.)
4. Koppu no mizu ga ( kobore soodesu, koboreru yoodesu, koboreru rashii )
- Kare no okusan no hanashi dewa , kare wa saikin ( i ga warui yooda, i ga waru sooda, i ga warui rashii )
5. Senaka ga kayui. ( Kani sasare sooda , Kani sasareta yooda , Kani sasareta rashii )
6. Zuibun hurui ie desu ne. ( Nanika i sooda, Nanika iru yooa, Nanika iru rashii.
- Nanika oto ga shimasu yo ( Nezumi ga isou desune , Nezumi ga iruyoo desune
7. Ookii ishi desu ne. ( Omosoo desu ne, Omoi youdesu ne , Omoirashiine )
- Nezumi ga iru rashii desune. )
8. Ano hito ishi o motoo to site imasu yo. Ugoki masen ne. ( Omosoo desune, Omoi yooesu ne , Omoi rashii ne .)
9. Ano ishi dare mo motiage rarenakatta n datte. Zuibun ( omosoo desu ne , omoiyoo desune , omoi rashii desu ne. )
10. Kachoo : Kimi ga tantoo shite iru ano keiyaku doo natta kane .
- Buka : (Umaku iki soodesu, Umaku itte iru yoodesu, Umaku itte iru rashiidesu. )
( Answer )
- 1 hiita yoodesu/ hiita rashiidesu , arisoodesu/aruyoodesu , kaze no yoodesu , naori soodesu
- 2 ureshisoo , atta yoodesu / atta rahiidesu
- 3 warui yooda
- warui yooda / warui rashii
- 4 kobore soodesu
- 5 ka ni sasareta yooda / ka ni sasareta rashii
- 6 i soodesu ne , iru youdesu ne
- 7 omosoo desu ne
- 8 omoi yoodesu ne
- 9 omoi rashidesu ne
- 10 umaku iki soodesu
We are expert Japanese teachers. We are confident that this article is good
and useful for foreign learners of Japanese. But I'm afraid our English is
not so good. When you find any spelling or grammatical mistake,
please let me know.
We also offer private lessons for students of all levels.
For more information , please call us.
EMAIL:BXK04364@niftyserve.or.jp , firstname.lastname@example.org
/// JAPAN CULTURE STUDY GROUP ///
RETURN TO COVER